25 April 2012

Meghan O'Rourke is Woman-Stirred


This week on Woman-Stirred Radio, I'm thrilled to host Meghan O'Rourke, whose new collection of poetry, Once, was released by WW Norton last year.

Meghan O'Rourke
At 5:00, I welcome Meghan O'Rourke. Her new collection, Once, is at once subtle and minimal, but the poems rumble with emotion and careful observations. A participating witness to her mother's last days, and keenly effected by the changed nature of  America, Once moves through the labyrinth of grief and consternation, as in this excerpt from "After Her Death"

I lived in an underworld.

Snowflakes on my eyes, fingers curled,
I made the bed my home,
curtaining my eyes from the sun---
in my sleep she and I
                                       passed each other
side to side, and did not touch,
And my hands, O my hands
cracked            

Meghan O'Rourke is the author of Halflife, and a memoir, The Long Goodbye. She has served as editor for the New Yorker, The Paris Review, and Slate.  

So please join us, Thursday April 26th on Woman-Stirred Radio. Interview begin at 4:15 and the air studio phone number is 802.454.7762. 




Woman-Stirred Radio is underwritten by Sinister Wisdom, celebrating 35 years of  lesbian-feminist arts and letters.

Woman-Stirred Radio broadcasts live on WGDR 91.1 fm and WGDH 91.7 fm, Goddard College's community radio station located in Plainfield, Vermont.