photo: Laurie Willick
In Sawgamet, the mythic character of Jeannot meets the fearsome and the fabulous---the ghosts and legendary creatures that inhabit the wild forests surrounding Sawgamet, and the river creatures who would grab a person and dive into the depths.
The magical realism of Zentner's narrative opens one's imagination to the many possibilities of compassion and redemption---all of which coexist in the human psyche; and it maps the rarified points of contact between reality and the supranatural, a confluence of imagination and awe-inspiring nature:
- What is the civic empowerment gap and why does it matter? How large is it?
- What is Cultural Capitalism?
- Why has Obama failed to carve away at the civic empowerment gap?
- What forms of disrespect and mistrust do students in urban schools encounter on a daily basis? What effect do these have?
- Why are lunch hours and bathroom policies so fraught and indicative of future expectations for students in under-funded and undervalued urban public schools?
Woman-Stirred Radio is underwritten by Sinister Wisdom, celebrating 35 years of lesbian-feminist arts and letters. Woman-Stirred Radio broadcasts live on WGDR 91.1 fm and WGDH 91.7 fm, Goddard College's community radio station located in Plainfield, Vermont.